Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Croutons and rosemary and chives, oh my!

It's 9:30 p.m. and I've just sat down for the evening. Quite a night!

First off, as I walked from the bus to my house I realized that I'd forgotten my keys. I knocked on our elderly neighbor's door to grab our spare but didn't get any answer, so I walked over to one of our windows to see if I might be able to break in. Upon close inspection I knew that would be a no go (which is a good thing, huh?) so I walked back to the front door - and that's when I saw my neighbor walking up from her back yard. Phew!

So then I walked into the house only to find that I'd accidentally left a bag of trash from the kitchen out and Tater had gotten into it! Scraps of packaging everywhere - and ants crawling all about to top it off. Wunderbar.

After cleaning that up, Tater and I went on our walk and then I spent the evening in the kitchen, mostly cleaning, but also making croutons!


Very easy recipe... Take leftover hot dog or hamburger rolls (which I had a LOT of thanks to Amber's birthday picnic this weekend!), cut them up, coat them in melted butter and a bit of olive oil (just enough, not too much), and then sprinkle on seasonings! We have this stuff called "sandwich sprinkle" from Penzey's Spices and it's fabulous (salt, garlic, pepper, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, and majoram), but just garlic salt and powder with oregano would be delicious. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes at 350°F until desired brownness!

Then I hung up our herbs to dry in the laundry room downstairs. If this works, I think we're going to have enough rosemary to last us for the rest of our lives!


The same goes for the chives - we're up to our eyeballs in it! Eric found a recipe in which he can use a large amount of them and I said go for it! If they last, I think I'd like to try to make an omelette this weekend with the chives. And I say try because I've never enjoyed cooking with eggs - I think they stink while they're in the pan - so this could be yet another culinary adventure!

Sweet mother of chives!

1 comment:

Peter Gloistein said...

I am glad you made it clear it was rosemary. For a min i thought it was something else...lol sorry just got home from working the midnight shift. looking good...